Motorcycle accidents can cause an individual serious life-long injuries and financial burdens. If you were hurt in one, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced Florida personal injury attorneys at The Finizio Law Group, P.A. today to learn more about your options.
How do motorcycle accidents occur in Florida?
Motorcycle accidents can occur as a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, the most common cause of motorcycle accidents is driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence include the following:
- Ignoring blind spots
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Are motorcyclists covered under PIP?
Unfortunately, in Florida, personal injury protection (PIP) does not extend to motorcyclists. This implies, that unlike with car accidents, medical bills and lost wages will not be covered after a motorcycle accident. Therefore, if you are not covered, you will likely be held liable for your own medical expenses, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is responsible for your accident. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, it is in your best interest to retain the services of an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to pursue legal action, it is your responsibility to satisfy the burden of proof. Essentially, this means that you will need to provide as much evidence as possible in order to have a successful personal injury claim. If possible, be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident. In some instances, motorcyclists can wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that they get into an accident.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents that point to the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced Florida personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be a key component to your case.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED FLORIDA FIRM
If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, family law, criminal defense, or aviation litigation, look no further than The Finizio Law Group. Schedule your initial consultation with our team to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. Contact us today.