Si Hablamos su idioma 954-833-0200

Must You Pay Child Support if You Don’t Have Visitation Rights in Florida?

child support visitation rights florida

If you want to be involved in your child’s life despite not having visitation rights, please read on, then contact an experienced Broward County child support lawyer to learn if you must pay child support if you do not have visitation rights in Florida.

Does the state of Florida require you to pay child support even if you do not have visitation rights?

Yes. If Florida’s Family Court orders you to pay child support, you must pay, even if you do not have visitation rights. You see, the noncustodial parent’s visitation rights, or lack thereof, are irrelevant in the Court’s calculation of child support. The only way to get out of paying child support is for a parent to surrender his or her parental rights. However, you should know that doing that also means that you no longer have any say in what the child does and you can’t request visitation rights. If you want to be involved in your child’s life at any point in the future, we would advise you against that course of action.

How is Florida child support calculated when you have no visitation rights?

As previously stated, the Family Court does not factor in your specific custody or visitation arrangement when calculating child support payments. Instead, the Family Court considers the following factors:

  • Wages and salary
  • Bonuses, commissions and tips
  • Disability benefits
  • Spousal support
  • Worker’s compensation
  • Social Security payments
  • Retirement and pension plans
  • Property ownership
  • Unemployment assistance
  • Other forms of compensation through self-employed or contractor work

Assuming you do not wish to relinquish your parental rights, you have only two options: Accept that you must pay child support, or ask for a modification. In the latter case, you should reach out to a skilled Broward County family law attorney to discuss your next steps.

How can a Broward County family law attorney help you?

First and foremost, a qualified legal professional from our Broward County firm will help you request a modification to your child support payment. He or she will help document and present evidence that you have undergone a substantial, permanent and involuntary change in circumstances that were not considered during the original determination of child support. Our firm will help give you the best possible chance of success, so please give us a call today.

Contact Our Experienced Broward County Firm

If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, family law, criminal defense, commercial litigation, or aviation litigation, look no further than The Finizio Law Group. Our firm has decades of combined experience representing clients from all walks of life, and we are here to put those years of experience to work for you as well. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation with our team and to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.

The Finizio Law Group
Get Your Free Consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.