Si Hablamos su idioma 954-833-0200

What Forms of Damages Can I Seek in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?

stack of money next to gavel

Suffering injuries at the hand of a negligent party can leave you in pain and left with astronomical medical bills. However, you may be able to recover damages from the person responsible for the injuries you’ve endured. Unfortunately, you may not know what forms of damages you are eligible to recover. Luckily, the following blog can explore what you must know when filing a lawsuit. Keep reading to learn more and discover how a Broward County personal injury attorney can help you through this complicated process.

What Common Forms of Damages Can I Recover?

If you want to pursue monetary compensation for the injuries you’ve sustained, understanding what you can do to receive justice is vital. Generally, you can seek the following damages:

  • General: General, or non-economic damages, have no direct financial value. Instead, they cover more subjective damages, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, or scaring. Because there are no direct costs associated, it is left up to the jury to award based on several factors.
  • Special:  Also called economic damages, special damages represent the tangible monetary losses you’ve suffered. These generally represent medical bills, lost income, property damage, and the cost of any medical equipment you need after your injuries.
  • Punitive: Punitive damages are a rare form of compensation, as they are not directly linked to the injured party’s health. Instead, they are ordered by the court when a defendant demonstrates an egregious disregard for the well-being of others. Essentially, these damages serve as a deterrent to similar acts.

What Should I Do if I Want to Pursue Compensation?

When you are involved in an accident at the hands of a negligent party, you may wish to pursue compensation. As such, knowing how to proceed is vital.

The first step you must take occurs directly at the scene of the incident. Whether you’re involved in a car crash or tripped over merchandise left on the floor of a retail store, you should contact emergency services. Calling allows you to obtain a police report and request medical attention, both of which can be used as evidence later on.

Next, you’ll want to get in touch with an attorney as soon as possible. This ensures you can proceed through the proper legal channels as necessary. Similarly, your lawyer can help you collect additional evidence that supports your claim, such as photos and videos, medical records, witness statements, and testimony from friends and family.

When you’re hurt, the Finizo Law Group can help. Our dedicated legal team will do everything possible to guide you through these challenging times. However, you must act fast, as you will only have two years from the date of your injuries to file a lawsuit. Contact our firm today to discuss the details of your case with a member of our team.

The Finizio Law Group
Get Your Free Consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.