Si Hablamos su idioma 954-833-0200

How Do You Preserve Your Parental Rights in Florida?

Being a parent is central to your identity. Unfortunately, an alleged mistake on your part puts your parental rights in jeopardy. If you would like to remain a part of your child’s life, please read on, then contact an experienced Broward County child custody lawyer to learn how you preserve your parental rights in Florida.

How do you preserve your parental rights in Florida?

To preserve your parental rights in Florida, you must demonstrate to the Family Court and any other relevant authorities that you are not an unfit parent. The legal definition of an unfit parent is a parent or caretaker who is unable to provide a safe, secure, nurturing home for his or her child. The inability to do so could put the child at risk of suffering emotional, psychological or physical harm as a result.

How can you be deemed an unfit parent in Florida?

The following actions are examples of unfit parents in Florida:

  • Abandonment, desertion and neglect
  • Failure to maintain a reasonable degree of interest, concern or responsibility for the child’s welfare
  • Extreme or repeated cruelty to the child or documented child abuse
  • Depravity, as illustrated by past criminal convictions
  • Mental illness that negatively impacts your ability to parent
  • Substance abuse, especially in the presence of children
  • Missing child custody visits
  • Hoarding and other environmental hazards

These are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Many other actions, including ones that may be specific to your case, could force the Family Court to deem you an unfit parent.

How do you recover your parental rights in Florida?

To regain your parental rights, you should first reach out to an experienced Broward County family law attorney. A qualified legal representative will guide you through the process, which includes evaluations, navigating the Child Protective Services system and negotiating the terms and conditions by which you can recover your parental rights. Upon the completion of these terms and conditions, and with the assistance of your attorney, you can go back to court to ask for a modification of the child custody order. When your case goes to court, your attorney will present evidence in support of your request for a new custody arrangement or visitation rights. Many cases languish; do not let yours be one of them.

Contact Our Experienced Broward County Firm

If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, family law, criminal defense, commercial litigation, or aviation litigation, look no further than The Finizio Law Group. Our firm has decades of combined experience representing clients from all walks of life, and we are here to put those years of experience to work for you as well. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation with our team and to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.

The Finizio Law Group
Get Your Free Consultation
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.