With the sheer force of automobiles, a head-on collision or side-impact collision can leave devastating aftermath of injuries and damages. Continue reading to learn the common causes of intersection collisions and how an experienced Broward County car accident lawyer at The Finizio Law Group can assist you in bringing your case forward.
What are the frequent causes of intersection collisions in the state of Florida?
Sometimes, intersection collisions can be blamed on external factors, such as a faulty traffic control device or an automobile’s mechanical malfunction. But usually, they are at the fault of a negligent driver. Common examples of such negligence include the following:
- The driver did not properly survey their surrounding before crossing or turning at the intersection.
- The driver wrongly assumed that you, the other involved driver, were yielding, turning, etc., when proceeding through the intersection.
- The driver miscalculated a gap to proceed through the intersection.
- The driver was distracted when proceeding through the intersection (i.e., texting, eating, drinking, navigating a GPS, etc).
- The driver was reckless when proceeding through the intersection (i.e., speeding, ignoring traffic signs or signals, making an illegal maneuver, etc).
- The driver proceeded to cross or turn at the intersection regardless of having an obstructed view.
What should I do in the event of an intersection collision?
If you were struck by another automobile at an intersection, you must recover your damages so that you can get your life back on track. So, you should file a personal injury claim, and thus take the following approach immediately after your intersection collision:
- Call 911: the law enforcement officer will conduct an official police report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene.
- Take photos and videos: capture your injuries, damages, and any unsafe conditions that may have added to the accident.
- Exchange contact information: ask the other driver for their name, phone number, driver’s license number, insurance company name, insurance policy number, etc.
- Gather witnesses: exchange information with present witnesses, as well, so that they can provide testimonies later on.
- Go to medical treatment: do so at the scene and the hospital later on so that you can have the date, time, and severity of your injuries recorded.
- Hire a skilled Broward County auto accident lawyer today: do so before the statute of limitations which, in the state of Florida, is usually four years from the date of your accident.
In your favor is the fact that the Florida courts are unsympathetic to poor excuses made by the negligent driver (i.e., your car “came out of nowhere”). So, you will have a strong personal injury claim so long as you follow the above procedure.
Contact Our Experienced Broward County Firm
If you require legal representation for matters of personal injury, family law, criminal defense, commercial litigation, or aviation litigation, contact The Finizio Law Group today.